Selecting the right shade of foundation for your skin tone is vital. Most women have yellow-based skin. As your skin is now silky, it will be easier to apply it uniformly. Some tips for applying foundation
- Use a tint that is either one shade lighter or darker than your natural complexion. This step will also be able to cover other skin disorders as blemishes, blackheads or age spots. Proceed gently so that you won’t leave out any sections.
- To get a perfect match and to create the look of having naturally flawless skin, you need to wear a foundation with a yellow base.
- Apply your foundation with a cosmetic sponge or a dense brush for more control and a smoother application.
- If you have fine skin, but want to even out a few reddish areas, consider a light coverage.
- For women with really uneven skin tone or blemishes, consider a medium-coverage foundation.
- This is key in choosing the right foundation you will be purchasing, as most foundation formulas are primarily targeted towards a skin type.
Emollient based -(cream, cream to powder, liquid, tinted moisturizer)
This can be used by people with dry, combination and normal skin. People with oily skin might also be able to use these products if the formula is oil-free, oil-control or water based.
Powder based – (including mineral make-up)
There is a difference between powder (which is applied as a final step to set your foundation making it last longer) and powder foundation. Powder foundation should be used by people with normal, combination or oily skin. People with dry skin should be attentive that by using a powder foundation the wrinkles and dryness of their skin will be emphasized!
Foundation is usually made with either a yellow undertone or a pink/red undertone. Some companies even make neutral undertone formulas. Look at your skin. Does it look more pink/red or more yellow? Select few colours that seem close to your natural skin tone. Go for the yellow-based foundations, which look most natural on all skin tones. When trying to choose on a specific foundation colour, once you have determined the above criteria for your needs, you should then check the foundation on your skin to make sure that it is a match.